An Update from your President
Dear PMAHA family,
As the season winds down, I wanted to take a moment to extend a thank you to each and every family in our amazing organization. Having now had the privilege to represent you as the President of the association for the past 3 years, I can tell you that we are the envy of many other associations. From our players, parent group, amazing volunteers and an incredibly hard working executive, we are definitely the exception and not the rule when it comes to minor hockey organizations, and I couldn’t be more proud of how we represented our association and our community this year.
As we look forward to our AGM on April 19th at Heritage Woods High School (please note new venue!!!), I encourage you to complete a few tasks of your own:
1. Pictures, pictures, pictures – If you have attended the last two awards ceremonies you know what a treat watching Bernard’s wrap up video is. Please forward your season pictures to Bernard ASAP (otherwise, we will all be watching a video of his kid’s seasons – lol
2. Surveys – we can only improve if you let us know how. We welcome feedback from our hockey community and encourage you to take the time to give us feedback regarding coaches, the executive and the organization overall. I have developed a thick skin over the past few years, so please feel free to be honest :))
PMAHA Coach’s Survey – http://svy.mk/2n2OyX6
PMAHA Parent and Player Survey – http://svy.mk/2mEWnPd
3. Volunteer! – Every year, half of our executive positions come up for re -election. I encourage you to consider putting your name forward for one of these roles. Without volunteers, we would cease to function. We especially need volunteers with younger players, as some of us are getting a little long in the tooth. In addition to the positions up for election this year, we are also looking for volunteers interested in the ice scheduler and treasurer roles for the 2018/19 season. Two of our long-time volunteers will be stepping away, and this would be the year to have someone shadow them and be ready to step into the role the following season. If you are interested in any of these roles, please contact me directly. email@example.com
Referee in Chief
4. Volunteer Appreciation Golf Tourney – Speaking of volunteers…. if you were a volunteer for PMAHA this season (coach, manager, executive, safety person etc.), we will be hosting our 3rd annual volunteer appreciation golf tournament on May 5th at Westwood Plateau (mark your calendars – details to follow)
5. Zone Pilot Project update – As many of you are probably already aware, PCAHA voted against implementing a zone pilot project for Bantam AAA for the upcoming season. They will be striking a committee to look at implementing this for the 2018/19 season. If anyone has questions with regards to this, please feel free to contact me directly.
6. Banner Winners – I think we have a pretty good handle on it, but if your team won a banner this season, please let us know! Send Bernard and me and email and team photo letting us know your team and which banner you won, as we traditionally recognize these teams at our awards banquet (opportunity for the team to come to the stage and have their photos taken). Also, arrange to get the banners to us for the presentation that evening.
7. Team and Individual awards – Nominations will be accepted until March 31 – Bernard has sent out a few emails, but if you need more info, please visit the website: http://bit.ly/2n2HlWY
CHEER ON OUR BOYS AT THE PROVINCIALS
For most of us, the season has already wrapped up, however, for two of our teams, there is one more goal to achieve. Both our Bantam A1 and Midget A1 teams will be representing PMAHA at the upcoming Provincial Championships. And while most of us will have to cheer on the Bantam team from afar as they will be in Powell River, our Midget team is playing just around the corner in PoCo. I encourage all of you to don your red, white and black and get out there to cheer on our boys!
Monday @ 10:45 am and 7pm
Tuesday @4:15 pm
Wednesday at 4:30
And finally… as many of you know, one of our hockey development directors Justin Styffe is leaving us at the end of this season. Justin has been a part of PMAHA for the past 5 years and has made a significant impact on players, parents and the organization overall. Justin has a passion for the sport, and the teams he coaches that is second to none. Not only has Justin taught our players skills on the ice, he has taught them many valuable lessons off the ice as well, and for that, we, as an organziation are truly grateful.
Justin took the time to write the attached letter to all of you, to say thank you to PMAHA, however, I think it is us that should be taking the time to thank Justin. If you ever questioned the heart and dedication of someone who volunteers their time to coach a minor sports team, I encourage you to keep this letter handy as a reminder of the dedication, pride and passion these coaches possess.
Justin, you will be missed!Again, I want to thank everyone for an amazing season, and I look forward to seeing everyone at the AGM!!