News and Announcements
Due to technical issues outside of PMAHA control, returning player registration has been temporarily delayed, please check back for updates
Registration will open for returning players on June 10 2021 and for new players July 11 2021. Details to come.
Thank you to everyone – players, parents, coaches, and all of our volunteers for persevering through what has been a season to remember for all of us during the COVID-19 pandemic.
We are looking forward to celebrating the season at our annual Awards presentation, which will take place May 19 at 7 PM online via Zoom.
Please submit your nominations for various awards using the nomination form below:
Deadline for submissions is Fri April 2nd. Award categories are as follows:
- Manager of the Year: Awarded to a Team Manager who exhibits a positive team spirit, above and beyond the call of duty.
- Player of the Year (U11/Atom & above): Awarded to a player based on overall hockey ability, attitude in the sport, desire to succeed, attendance, and performance in school. Exhibits additional efforts towards hockey other than playing, such as refereeing or mentoring of younger players, etc.
- Coach of the Year: Coach who instills sportsmanship, winning attitude and dedication to their team. Coaches can be from any division and level.
- Todd Ervin Award: The individual must be a player in the Midget division who best exemplifies dedication, a love of the game and a willingness to work hard on his own behalf and for the good of the team. Must display a sense of fairness to both the opposition and his own team. While the ability level of the player should be reasonably good, it should always be taken in context with the above criteria.
- PMAHA Scholarship Award: Midget player/Referee (must be in grade 11 or 12) who has showed good sportsmanship, leadership and character. Also based on hockey ability and performance, good school grades and community participation. (Please note: A separate essay written by the student nominated must be submitted in addition to the nomination)
- Michael Robinson Award: Player with perspective, determination and dedication. Has managed to overcome an obstacle. – All divisions
- Team of the Year A and C (U11/Atom & above): Based on overall attitude, uplifting spirit, parental support, community outreach and the ability to overcome obstacles
- “Walter Gretzky” Parent of the Year: Works on behalf of the Executive and Team. Excellent attitude and shows availability to assist when needed (this award was recently renamed in recognition of Walter Gretzky)
- Goalie of the Year (U11/Atom & above): Overall hockey ability, attitude, desire, attendance, and school results. Exhibits additional efforts towards hockey other than playing, such as refereeing, helping other coaches, etc
- Inside Edge/Innovative Fitness Development Award: The award goes to the graduating Bantam player that has exemplified an ambition to play at a higher level and has demonstrated this intention through hard work and leadership on his team over the past season.
Again, here is the link to the nomination form:
Photos and video clips wanted:
We would love your pictures and videos of your team’s “socially distanced” experiences this past season for the annual awards slideshow. Please send via e-mail or via your favorite sharing application (Dropbox, Google drive, etc) to email@example.com
On Thursday Feb 4, 2021 Port Moody Amateur Hockey Association (PMAHA) learned of an asymptotic person with a positive COVID-19 test within our membership. The affected team was asked to immediately pause their team activities.
On Tuesday Feb 9, 2021 we learned of an additional person with a positive COVID-19 test. Immediately the activities of the affected teams were paused.
On Wednesday Feb 10, 2021 after learning of 2 more persons with positive COVID-19 positive tests, PMAHA acted expeditiously to pause all hockey activities, for all teams in the Association, for an indefinite period.
Prior to our voluntary pause, PMAHA teams had been participating in Phase 2 activities in accordance with Viasport guidelines and BC Hockey. This allowed for teams to practice but not play games.
The decision to pause continues to be a voluntary decision taken by PMAHA and not one mandated by Public Health Authorities. However we feel it is the most appropriate measure to minimize health risk for players, arena staff and related user groups. We will review this position on Wed Feb 24, 2021 based on further guidance of Public Health Authorities.
PMAHA reminds its members and the general community to remain vigilant and to immediately report related health concerns to Public Health.
We are proud to be part of our hockey community that has continued to shine its kindness towards one another during these difficult times.
We do not intend to have further comment, any further inquiries should be directed to Public Health.
Out of an abundance of caution, PMAHA’s Executive has made the difficult decision to pause all hockey activities effective immediately until Wednesday February 17th, 2021.
This is a voluntary decision taken by PMAHA after carefully considering the relevant factors. Although the pause has not been mandated by Public Health Authorities, PMAHA believes that it is the most appropriate measure in order to minimize risk for players, staff and user groups; and to ensure that we are able to finish the season strongly after a short break.
Please remain vigilant. We expect to communicate again to all parents prior to next Wednesday, thank you for your patience and support in the interim.
On Sat Nov 7, our Provincial Health Officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry announced increased restrictions for the Fraser and Coastal Health regions. These new Provincial Health Orders include new restrictions for indoor sports, including ice hockey.
Effectively immediately, all PMAHA games are cancelled for at least 14 days.
With Port Moody Arenas closed through Tues Nov 10th, practices are also cancelled until at least that day. An update will be provided as soon as we have learned more from the City of Port Moody.
Like other local Hockey Associations, we are also anticipating updates to the City facility guidelines, and updated information from BC Hockey, PCAHA and ViaSport. We will post updated information here, via email and via social media as updates are made available.
On behalf of PMAHA Executive, we hope you are all safe and healthy, and we will provide more information as it becomes available.